About

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Wild Rice Chicken Salad and Orange Scones

Ahhhh, Sunday! I love this day. There is so much to love about Sunday - there is a morning of fellowship and worship with my church family, quiet afternoons with most of the family napping and an easy evening meal. None of that big Sunday Supper at this house, usually. Today is no exception. Nate had a friend spend the night, so they rode together to church, David and Ali were being heathens (lol) and skipped Sunday School and rode in together, so it was just Kami and me in the car (yes, "Kami and me" NOT "Kami and I" ... but I won't go on a grammar rampage right now, so relax and sit back down), which meant no sibling arguments. The youth choir stayed after church for practice and I stayed with them, then we headed home for a relaxing afternoon.

Ali left for work right after the other two and I got home, but since tomorrow is MLK, Jr. Day, APSU is closed, so she gets to stay home another day and will be home after her shift at Starbucks. The football game (Patriots v. someone who isn't going to win... or are they?) is on the TV, Nate is probably talking to Savannah on the phone and Kami is playing with the girls across the street. Guess it is about time to slather some chicken breasts in olive oil, slide some garlic slices under the skin, sprinkle them with salt and pepper and pop them into the oven at 375 to roast for about an hour. I will let them cool before I start putting together the remainder of tonight's dinner, which is a warm chicken and wild rice salad, green salad and orange pecan scones. Seems kind of like a summer supper, but since it has warmed up to a whopping 48 degrees today, I was feeling a little summer-y... NOT! It's just something I wanted to make and since I am in charge of making the food around here, I usually get to make what I want. The scones are one of those rare recipes of mine that uses self-rising flour. If you don't have that, you can add 1 1/2 t. baking powder and a 1/2 t. salt for every cup of flour.




WILD RICE CHICKEN SALAD

2 (6oz.) pkgs. long-grain and wild rice mix
2 (6oz.) jars marinated artichoke hearts, undrained
4 c. chicken breast, cooked and chopped
1 med. red bell pepper
2 ribs celery, sliced thin
5 green onions, sliced (white and green parts)
1/2 c. pine nuts or slivered almonds
1 (2oz) can sliced black olives, drained
1 c. mayonnaise
1 1/2 t. curry powder

Cook the rice according to the package directions, with the seasonings. Drain the artichokes, reserving 1/2 cup of liquid. Mix mayo, curry and reserved marinade. Toss all of the ingredients together with the dressing and serve either warm or chilled. It is delicious either way, although I prefer it warm with a nice green salad on the side.


ORANGE SCONES

2 c. self-rising flour
1/2 c. sugar
2 t. orange zest
1/3 c. butter
1/2 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. orange juice
1 t. vanilla
1/2 c. chopped pecans

Pre-heat oven to 425'. Stir together the flour, sugar and orange zest. Cut in the butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the pecans, buttermilk, orange juice and vanilla. Stir just until moistened. Turn out onto a lightly floured board and knead 3 or 4 times, just until mixture holds together. Divide into two pieces and pat each portion into a 7-inch circle and place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Cut each circle into 8 wedges, but keep them together in a circle. Sprinkle lightly with sugar. Bake at 425' for 12-14 minutes.

Enjoy! If you like these recipes, feel free to share them with others. You can share them on facebook, twitter, google, etc - or email them. I love hearing back from you all when you try things and especially when you like them! If I could make dinner for all of you, I would!

Until next time, stay warm and loved, my friends!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow..that sounds yummy. And I just finished eating my dinner so you know I'm impressed. Can't wait to try to scone recipe.

    ReplyDelete