About

Friday, January 21, 2011

Grocery Shopping...The List

I told you all about my menu planning strategies the other day. It is pretty straight forward. There are a few things that I make without even thinking about it, things like spaghetti sauce, grilled or baked chicken, lasagna, shepherd's pie, beef stroganoff, pot roast, vegetable soup, hamburgers... but I am always looking for new recipes to add some variety to our weekly (or bi-weekly) menus. I try different casseroles, some are good, some I will eat but never make again, some...well, let's just say the leftovers don't make it to the fridge. 

I have two shelves worth of cookbooks, several of them are "church" type cookbooks that are filled with tried and true family recipes. Among others, I have The Joy of Cooking, The Better Homes & Gardens, Betty Crocker, Fanny Farmer, and several Southern Living books that are my "go-to" books. Like I said earlier, I will often pull one cookbook and find a couple recipes to try for the next couple of weeks. This next two weeks is no exception. This next two weeks I am going to use my new favorite... The Southern Plate Cookbook. I have been following Christy's blog for a little while and bought the book when she released it this summer and then met her at the Southern Festival of Books. She is real and her food is real... real good!! If you want an honest-to-goodness southern cookbook chock full of southern recipes, this is the one to get! I have made several things in it and these next two weeks I have put the following onto my menu planner: chicken stew, corn chowder, slow cooked pork roast and squash casserole. When I do this, I put the page number in parentheses so I can find it when I make my shopping list and when I go to actually fix the meal. I also limit myself to using no more than two cookbooks and try to stick with one so I don't get confused!

So my list has been adjusted from last time to accommodate these recipes (I changed 1/24 to chicken stew, 1/30 to the pork roast, 1/31 to corn chowder and altered 2/3 to remove the potatoes and green beans and added the squash casserole)

So now it is time to make my list. I go day by day and put the ingredients necessary to complete my menu, keeping in mind what I have in my pantry. I also add in items for breakfast and lunch meals as well as snacks and check my stock of baking supplies as well... this is where I will remember to put down Confectioner's Sugar since I keep forgetting!! I star things that I need a lot of (like carrots and potatoes in the winter). Check it out - give me some feedback. What do you do?

SHOPPING LIST FORM

DAIRY
MEAT
FROZEN
PRODUCE
Milk
Beef roast
Corn (x2)
Green pepper
Eggs
Italian sausage

Red potatoes
Butter
Ground beef (2)

Potatoes **
Colby/Jack
Pork roast

Onions *
Cream cheese
4# chicken (2)

Garlic
Sour cream
Lunch meat

Carrots **



Yellow squash



Jalapeno



Green onions



Romaine



Tomatoes
BREAD
CANNED
MISC. GROCERY
Cucumbers
Lunch bread
Chicken broth
Mayo
 Apples
Flour tortillas
Beef broth
Dijon
 Bananas
Pita bread
Crushed tomatoes 3
Taco shells

bagels
Fire-roasted tom.
Salsa


12 oz. Paste
Yellow rice
MISC. NON-GROC

Capers
Chips
Dish soap

Roasted peppers
Ritz crackers
Laundry Det.

Refried beans
Nutella
Toilet paper
BAKING
Cr. Mush soup
Pretzels
Paper towels
Confec. Sugar
28 oz whole tom 2
Popcorn

Flour
tuna
Honey

Baking soda

Maple syrup

Bread flour

Juice

Choc. chips



Brown sugar









That's it for today :) Once again, stay warm and loved, my friends!!

No comments:

Post a Comment