About

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Banana Oatmeal Muffins

I have a couple of recipe cards written in my mother's handwritting. One is for Dorito Casserole and the other is her Banana Oatmeal Muffins. I love those muffins. I remember her making them for dinner many times. It is a good way to use up bananas that are past their prime, and for me that happens pretty early because I like my bananas with a bit of green still on them. Once they start turning brown they are too mushy and sweet. These result in a very light and fluffy muffin.

My mom loved to bake. She baked all kinds of desserts and breads. She made an incredible pie - a talent that I did not inherit, but my sisters all did. Guess I was kind of a black sheep :) I remember that she had a rolling pin that she kept in a fabric sleeve, like a sock, and heavy fabric pastry sheets that she rolled out her pie crusts on that were imbedded with flour and shortening (or most likely lard). My favorite pie was and always will be rhubarb...sometimes with strawberries, sometimes without.


 I thought I would share the muffin recipe with you today. I have made spaghetti sauce and vegetable soup this week, recipes I have already shared, so the blog has been a bit quiet. New and exciting things to come this week - and hopefully no snow for a while!



MOM'S BANANA OATMEAL MUFFINS
(In memory of the greatest mom that ever lived, Sandra Ann Heal Roberts)

1/2 c. soft shortening
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. honey
2 eggs, beaten
3 bananas, ripe
1 c. quick oats
1 1/2 c. flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
3/4 t. salt

Preheat oven to 350'. Cream shortening and sugar. Add honey. Mash bananas and add to mixture, then add in the eggs. Sift together dry ingredients, add to creamed mixture and then add in oatmeal. Divide mixture evenly into greased muffin cups. Bake 20 minutes. Makes 18 muffins.

Enjoy these and let me know what you think. I love the comments. You can share recipes you like on your own facebook page or email them to friends. I'd love to hear what unbiased (non-friends of mine) think!

Until next time, stay warm and loved, my friends!

2 comments:

  1. I want to make these. Do you know how much butter I can substitute for the shortening? Or is that and abomination to mid century cooking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would do the same amount. Let me know how they come out :) I am sure the texture will be a bit different than with the shortening. Since the melting point of shortening is higher, the ones made with butter may be a bit more dense than the ones with shortening.

    ReplyDelete