About

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Greek Salad

It snowed here for 3 days. However, that is not like snow for three days in New England, Minnesota or Nebraska... in Tennessee sometimes it can snow for three days and you can still see the lawn. I am not quite sure how that happens, but it does and it did. That meant no snowmen, sledding or better yet, sliding off the road. It also meant no snow melting on my kitchen floor, no kids heating water for cocoa and no boots and wet clothes sitting by the door. There is always a fair amount of good with the bad! I used the time to get grading done for my classes and upload grades to my online gradebook. I drove Nate to and from work, Ali to and from work and the dentist and moved a load of her stuff back to school, which starts back today. I made a roast beef and some chocolate muffins with chocolate chips and heath bar pieces... I think I will post that one tomorrow. You will love them and they are super easy!

It is January, however, so in my attempt to encourage healthy eating, I am posting a favorite salad at my house... Greek Salad. David and I were in Greece in 2004 - he was there a few weeks longer than I was because he was there for the Olympics (as a photojournalist for NBC) and then I met him when the games were over and we went on an amazing cruise. If you have never seen the pics, they are on my facebook, I think... or webshots... I can't remember. Anyway, we had several ports in Greece - Rhodes being one, and we found this cafe in the old town where the ship docked and had the most amazing salad. It had no lettuce, but was simply cucumber, tomato, and feta cheese drizzled with olive oil - a lot like the Italian Caprese salad which has basil and mozzarella. As an American, we like our lettuce in salads, so I am posting what we like to eat at our house. I hope you enjoy it too!



GREEK SALAD

Salad:
2-3 hearts Romaine lettuce, cut in chunks
1-2 English (hothouse) cucumber, cut into 1" chunks
1 pt. cherry or grape tomatoes, whole or halved
1/2 red onion, halved and then sliced thin
1 c. pitted Kalamata olives
1 8oz. pkg Feta cheese, cut in 1/2" cubes

Dressing:
1 clove garlic, minced
2 T. red wine vinegar
1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil
salt/pepper

Toss all salad vegetables together. Sprinkle the olives and cheese over the top. In a small bowl, whisk together the garlic and vinegar. Add the olive oil in a steady stream while whisking constantly. Season with salt and pepper and pour over the salad, tossing to coat.

Have a happy day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment