About

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Sun Dried Tomato Couscous and the IRS

I tried to do my taxes yesterday. Honestly, I did. My first job was to figure out how much we spent in medical expenses over the last year. I opened all of the statements of benefits, or whatever they were, I even went online to the health insurance website and downloaded our quarterly reports. I guess I just don't get it. I am going to have to call someone, and that means sitting on the phone for hours listening to either someone-with-very-bad-musical-taste's choice of music or announcements about how much they value my time and appreciate my call and how I will be helped by the next available representative...blah, blah, blah. Needless to say, I didn't get very far with the taxes yesterday. How did I get roped into doing the taxes every year? Probably because I cringe at the thought of paying someone to do it for me! So Monday, Cigna and I have a date on the telephone. Unless I can figure it out before then. I will, however, get them done on Monday.

Last night I pulled "something" out of the freezer for dinner. I have no clue what it was - I think some kind of chili at one time, but I did not date it or label it and when it thawed it smelled like plastic, so I dumped it out and pulled ham out of the freezer - THAT I recognized. I am going to have to be better at dating and labeling what goes into the freezer!! We had carrots and I had 2 boxes of couscous that I decided to make along with the ham. Couscous doesn't have much flavor on its own, but you can doctor it up a little and have quite a tasty dish. It was originally "roasted garlic and olive oil" flavored, but it still needed a little kick to make it even better. Here is what I came up with.

SUN DRIED TOMATO COUSCOUS

2 boxes couscous (any flavor, or none at all - your choice)
1 small onion, minced
2 T olive oil
2 T. butter
5-6 sun dried tomatoes, packed in oil, diced
3 c. chicken stock
1 t. salt
1/2 t. freshly cracked pepper

In large saucepan heat olive oil and butter. Add onion and saute until tender and slightly golden. (If I did not have garlic flavored couscous I would probably have tossed in a minced clove of garlic or two towards the end of the cooking time here). Add the couscous and stir to coat in the onion mixture coating as much as possible. Add in the seasoning packets from the boxes of couscous and salt and pepper and stir to combine. Add in the stock and tomatoes, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and allow to steam for 20 minutes. I do not wait until it comes to a boil before reducing the heat. It will heat on its own and be nice and done. trust me on this. DON'T PEEK!! Fluff with a fork before serving. Stirring and boiling are the sworn enemies of couscous. It will become a gummy ball if you do any peeking and stirring!!

Hope you love it!! Until next time - be warm and loved, my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment