About

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Basil Garlic Chicken Breasts or Finding Time To Be Creative

I spent the morning (and early afternoon) with Ronda. Friendships are amazing. This one always has a way of leaving me refreshed, energized, feeling loved and encouraged... everyone needs a Ronda in their lives! We laugh together, have cried together, have held each other accountable, told each other when our ideas are both crazy and wonderful. I'm still waiting for our first "road trip" together. That will be fun. Yesterday we went to Southern Salvage. She is wanting to put in new cabinets in her kitchen and she is trying to figure out how much it is going to cost - weighing the pros and cons of buying unfinished v. finished, what will the configuration be, etc. Me, I'm looking to paint a bathroom and put in new mirrors...and hopefully a new floor, but beggars can't be choosers!!

We hit Home Depot and then had a delicious lunch at Baja Burrito. They are the home of the most amazing fish tacos in Nashville. Really. Don't try to argue with me because nothing can compare to them. I think that is because they are the first ones I ever had and everything else, in my opinion, pales in comparison.

Behind Baja Burrito is this cool, funky little shop full of the most amazing little finds. They have some handmade things in there and Ronda thinks we can pull together some of our own knitted creations and sell them. I'm thinking it would be fun, but I am trying to figure out where the time will come from... right now I need to finish out this busy year of teaching plus direct the drama portion of the church's Easter production AND my CHET drama class's production in May. I think I will have to wait until summer to be creative. It is fun to dream, though. Anyway, it was a fun 6 hours yesterday with Ronda. I don't often get 6 hours to just do what I want, so it was energizing and a BLAST!!

We had chicken again last night. I love chicken, so it was no big deal. Ali wanted baked chicken, so this is what we had (along with baked sweet potatoes, broccoli and garlic spinach)

BASIL GARLIC CHICKEN

6 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts (or 1 per person)
fresh basil leaves
6 whole garlic cloves
olive oil
kosher salt
cracked pepper

Preheat oven to 375'. Cut each garlic clove in half through both ends (not across the middle) so you have 2 flatter pieces of garlic. Loosen the skin on the chicken and slide in a leaf of basil and the two halves of the clove of garlic. If you like it really garlicky, next time try more - but try it this way first and see how you like it. Repeat with all the pieces of chicken. Place on baking sheet, drizzle with a good drizzle of olive oil, sprinkle with kosher salt and black pepper and roast in the oven for an hour to an hour and 15 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.

The garlic gets all soft and smooshy under the skin and adds a great taste to the chicken. If you have to make chicken for chicken salad or another casserole recipe, this is a great way to have some really flavorful chicken instead of boiling it on the stove!

Off to get ready for church this morning. It's a busy day in the Brasells' house. Hope you all have a wonderful, blessed day! Until next time, stay warm and loved, my friends!!

No comments:

Post a Comment