About

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Pumpkin Gingerbread - It's just that kinda day

I love winter. Really, I do. But I live in the South and we don't get Winter, we get winter... BIG difference. Apparently someone didn't tell the jet stream or whatever it is that makes weather happen. We have had 7 snow storms this winter according to Channel 4. That's a lot! It is very pretty, though, when the sun shines on it and it is all sparkly and fresh. I am, however, ready for Spring.

I need to bake. I am going to make this once I drop Kami and Emily off at cheer practice. Ella has been sick this week so she is going to hang out at the house with me and while they are tumbling around, I am going to make a batch of this bread. It is warm and so yummy. I got the recipe at the same place where I got the Santaberry Sauce that I posted back in December. I wanted to bake this several times over the course of the last year, but apparently something tragic happened to the pumpkin crop in the US and I could not find canned pumpkin to save my life until around October. I nearly had a little party in the canned fruit aisle when I saw it. I bought several cans and am building up my arsenal. You never know when you will need pumpkin bread. This is the best recipe I know. It should actually be called "Gingery Pumpkin Bread" because it is not gingerbread at all. Won't you bake some too?? It may end up replacing your favorite recipe.

PUMPKIN GINGERBREAD

3 c. sugar
1 c. vegetable oil
4 eggs
2/3 c. water
16 oz. can pumpkin
2 t. ginger
1 t. each (all ground) cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice
3 1/2 c. flour (all-purpose)
2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. baking powder
1 1/2 t. salt

Preheat oven to 350'. In large bowl, mix together sugar, oil and eggs; add water. Beat in pumpkin and spices. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to pumpkin mixture and stir just until blended. Pour into two greased 5x9 inch loaf pans. Bake 1 hour or until bread tests done (toothpick inserted into center comes out clean). Occasionally I have to bake it a little longer.

Lemon glaze: combine 4 T soft butter with 2 c. powdered sugar and then thin with lemon juice until it is just thin enough to spread, but not too thin. Frost when bread is cool.

May your house smell wonderful, warm and sweet! Until next time, stay warm and loved, my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment