About

Friday, December 24, 2010

Sour Cream Streudel

It's Christmas Eve. Traditions and memories abound during this time of year. I have many fond memories of childhood Christmases, mostly because we spent time visiting family and friends. My mom was not the greatest cook in the world. Most of my recipes do not come from her archives. I do, however, cherish a few of the things that she made. More on those some time. What my mom was very good at was manking people feel special, cherished, important. Our front door was always open, rarely was it ever locked. Friends and family always just walked in and were immediately at home. If anyone ever knocked at the door, we knew it was a stranger. Our home was always a welcoming place because my mom made it that way. Today I want to share with you my favorite Christmas "memory". It is one I know that all four of my siblings also cherish and I am pretty certain that in each of their homes tomorrow morning, this will be on the table. You need to start the night before... it's not too late!

Sour Cream Streudel

Pastry (prepare the night before):
1 cup (2 sticks) real butter - none of the fake stuff!!
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sour cream

Jam Filling (prepare 3 separate batches in the morning):
3/4 cups fruit preserves (do not use jelly!)
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, pecans, pistachios... you choose

Blend the flour and butter with a pastry blender. (I cheat and do it in the Kitchenaid). When the mixture resembles course sand stir in the sour cream. Form the dough into three equal portions and wrap each one tightly in plastic wrap and store it in the fridge overnight or up to 3 days.

In the morning, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. I also have ready a large sheet pan. Roll each ball into an 11x15 inch rectangle. Fill with jam filling down center third of the dough leaving at least 2 inches on either end. Fold the long sides over the dough, overlapping, then fold in the ends, pressing lightly. Place streudel on ungreased cookie sheet. I can usually get all three on one sheet pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes (You can speed up the process and bake it at 450 for 18-20 min. if you are impatient). Allow to cool slightly. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and slice into 1-2 inch slices. Good warm or cold!

I have made this using the Santaberry Sauce as a filling and it is delicious. My favorite is a combination of raspberry and rhubarb preserves with pecans. Blueberry jam is wonderful. David loves peach or apricot.

Merry Christmas to all. May your holiday be filled with love, joy, peace and most importantly the knowledge that we celebrate the most precious gift that was born on this day, the gift of Eternal Life through the Lord Jesus Christ. I pray you know Him personally! He loves you so much that He chose to die so that you might have Life!

God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment