About

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

One Pot Chicken and Rice

December 22, 2010

Life is crazy-busy right now. Christmas is just about here and I am knitting socks like a madwoman and still I have to shop, wrap, taxi kids to work, the gym, parties, etc...oh, yeah, and cook! Last night I wanted to make a simple one pot chicken and rice. I looked through a few of my cookbooks and searched online, but nothing was quite what I wanted - too much reliance on convenience foods... not my idea of good. So, I took the "idea" from a few other recipes and made it my own. I posted it on facebook, but thought I might start my own recipe blog since several friends seem to think I can cook :) Here is blog post #1

One-Pot Chicken and Rice

Ingredients:
6 bone-in chicken thighs
2 T olive oil
salt/pepper
2 large carrots, peeled
1 large onion, peeled
3 stalks celery
1 green pepper, seeded
2 cloves garlic
2 cups basmati rice
4 cups chicken broth

Heat oil in dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper and brown in hot oil on both sides until golden brown. Meanwhile, process the carrots, onion, celery and green pepper in a food processor until finely chopped. Remove chicken from pot and set aside. Add vegetables to oil/drippings and saute. Finely mince the garlic and add to the vegetables. Cook until onion is translucent and carrot is tender. Stir in the rice and stir to coat. Continue stirring for about 2 minutes to lightly toast the rice. Add in the chicken broth and top with the browned chicken thighs. Bring pot to boil, cover and reduce to simmer. Allow to simmer for 20-30 minutes until rice is tender and chicken is cooked through. A nice add-in would be some frozen peas that can be added in during the last 10 minute or so.

I saw a few recipes that used yellow rice. I might try that some time - perhaps toss in some diced chorizo or shrimp and make it like a quick paella. hmmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment