About

Sunday, January 15, 2012

MEATballs - or I'm Not a Football Fan

I am so not a football fan. My dad liked sports. I remember listing to games on the radio in the car on Boston's WBZ ("Radio 1030...We hear you!"...sorry, can't hear the call letters without the song playing in my head.) I remember him watching hockey, basketball, bowling, golf, car races, boxing... you name it. He would yell at the screen with the best of 'em. Somehow his love for sports did not rub off on me. My least favorite is football. To me, it is a pointless game that takes forever. and ever. There are too many rules and "teams" within teams, cryptic play names and inflated egos. The pants, however.... anyway...

Football season is almost over. Just a couple more weeks and all of this hoopla over Tim Tebow will be over for a while. He is just a player, on a team, who happens to be a Christian (along with a LOT of other players). Yes, he is vocal about his beliefs. But I have a problem with Christians putting other Christians up on such a public pedestal. You are inviting Satan to attack him and then turn your back on his when he has a very public fall from grace. I may sound a bit pessimistic; however, he is a young man. Fame is cruel.

Anyway - this is not about footballs, it's about MEATballs :) I made spaghetti sauce, a monthly ritual around here. Part of it goes into the freezer for future meals. Last night I decided I needed meatballs, too. They were delish - The sauce recipe was posted last year some time - go find it... it's worth the time, which is not that much, and it is very adjustable and forgiving.

MEATBALLS (makes 30-40 walnut-sized meatballs)

1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. ground pork (occasionally I substitute Italian sausage)
1/2 c. dry breadcrumbs (firm meatballs - my choice) OR 1 c. fresh (softer meatballs)
1 egg
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese
1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley (or 2 T. dry)
1 t. dry basil
1 t. garlic powder (if you like onion powder, throw some of that in, too)
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. black pepper

Combine all ingredients with your hands and form into walnut-sized balls. Bake on a rimmed baking sheet at 350 for 20 minutes and then toss into the sauce and allow to simmer another 30-45 minutes. Mange!

Until next time, stay warm and loved my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment