About

Monday, January 16, 2012

Chicken and Dumplings

It is winter. Duh, right? I have to keep reminding myself of that fact because it has been SO warm around here lately. Yes, we had some snow at the end of last week, but we are right back to 50+ degrees. I love winter because that means soups, stews, crockpot meals that are saucy and savory. One thing that I love to do is cook a whole chicken in a pot on the stove and then make a variety of things with the meat and the broth. It could be chicken noodle soup, pot pie, a hearty stew or even chicken and dumplings.

My neice, Joanna, requested my chicken and dumplings recipe today since it is cold out in Oregon (big surprise - I bet it's even rainy, too, haha! :P) So, dearest Joanna, here you go and happy cooking! Before I post the recipe, let me say you can make this as complicated or easy as you want to. You can start in the morning with a whole chicken in a pot of water, bring it to a boil and allow it to simmer for a few hours until the chicken is practically falling off the bone, cool it down, strain out the broth and pull the meat from the bones. OR you can use leftover chicken and boxed chicken broth. Do what works for you. The photo here is a bad quality and I apologize, but I think you get the picture (no pun intended) Now...



Chicken and Dumplings

Meat from 1 whole chicken, chopped
4 c. chicken broth
1 lg. onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2-4 lg. carrots, diced
2-4 celery stalks, sliced
1 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1 can cream of celery soup
1-2 bay leaves
1 c. frozen peas
1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley

Dumplings (you can double this easily - just stir until soft dough forms and drop into soup by the spoonful)
1 c. baking mix (like Bisquick)
1/3 c. milk

In a Dutch oven, combine onion, garlic, celery and carrots with the broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender, stir in the chicken soup and then the meat and bring back to a boil. 30 minutes before serving add in the peas and parsley and then top with the dumpling mixture. Cover for 10 minutes and the cook uncovered 10 more minutes.

I hope you enjoy this one! Stay warm and loved!!

No comments:

Post a Comment